Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tubby Tuesday: Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory DIY: Fail

by Nell.

One of my all-time favorite flavor combination is caramel/apple.  Fall seems to be the "popular" season for enjoying these two together, and I see it in all kinds of candy, breads, drinks, and recently in a fabulous shake I had at Steak 'n Shake.  Yummers.  While cruising the grocery store the other day, I had a hankering for one of my favorite treats, the grasshopper carmel apple from Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory.  Alas, it no longer exists.  For some reason they told us last time we went in for one that they weren't allowed to make them any more.  Total bummer.  But I saw the giant bin of wrapped caramels at the grocery store and I thought, "Dude, I could make one.  It can't be that hard."

It took Trev and the kids a good chunk of time unwrapping all those caramels.  Why don't they just sell them unwrapped?  We melted it on the stove, and despite the high heat of the caramel, it didn't really "dip" on smooth, the way I envisioned.  More like gobbledy gook.  I decided not to worry too much--once I dipped it in chocolate, I was sure it would all smooth out.  Ha ha ha...the melted chocolate only emphasized the caramel bumps and lumps.  I was trying to think fast.  How could I save these ugly things?  I decided to mash up some oreos and sprinkle them on the chocolate.  That surely would mask my mistakes.  But all the oreos did was drip and drag the chocolate down the apple, causing it to pool at the base.  The ugliness was increasing exponentially by the second.

In a last ditch effort to save the apples' aesthetics, I thought of a technique I've seen where you drizzle chocolate over the top, kind of like this:

I found this image on Pinterest, but it had no origin or information so I couldn't credit the photographer.

This is how we ended up:


So kind of like the same thing, right?  ;)  I give it a D+ for presentation.


Undeterred from their appearance, the kids were excited to try them anyway.



Scott opted for the "Apple-Free" version



As Birdie sat at the table making nummy-noises, she sighed and said, "These taste just like those one apples you used to love."

I smiled to myself.  Fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...